First and foremost, a note: I have almost always disliked 3D because it makes the movies a shade darker. And with everybody hell bent on shooting films at night (Priest/Tron), going for such a film usually meant paying a little extra, popping your eyeballs out and returning with a headache 2 hours later. Ra.One gets this correct, with lots of daylight action. This is one flick where watching it in 3D makes a positive difference to your entire experience.
Coming back to the film, what is good about the movie ?
1. The VFX and the action sequences. Clean and well done.
2. The concept. New for an Indian audience.
3. The screenplay. Fast paced in chunks.
And what is bad?
1. Shah Rukh Khan stars in it. Well, if you hate the guy for no logical reason, you will put him down no matter what he will do. Superstar Rajni Saar got worldwide acclaim for making a similar film, while SRK gets panned by people who have not even bothered to watch Ra.One.
2. The starting. Really cheesy, dull and disappointing.
2. The VFX and the action sequences. Well, if you have been to Hollywood, you are not going to go gaga over them.
3. The concept. Old for an international audience, again.
4. The screenplay. It drags horribly in chunks !
What doesn't work for the film is the attempt to appease all sections of the audience: Ra.One doesn't completely run on the serious track, instead interspersing it with comedy which is unbecoming, given the fact that there has been a tragedy onscreen.
Apart from that, the film is a treat to watch. Comparing it with cinematic crap like Ready or Bodyguard is a misscarriage of justice. Watch it as a paisa vasool entertainer, and don't expect exemplary acting - simply because it doesn't need any. The concept and special effects do not leave much room for intense drama.
Ra.One is cinematic blitzkrieg. It is a perfect Diwali film, made on a grand scale with the sole purpose to wow its target audience and not educate them. Go.watch.it.once.